Custom Multi Family & Affordable Home Design
Does your organization need designers experienced in developing new affordable and mixed income housing through to construction and post-occupancy? Let our team of Passive House design experts get you there.
We have assisted many clients in navigating a variety of funding and financing models, providing key energy reduction targets over code minimums, and using energy modelling to inform decision-making during design to help keep projects on track.
Multi unit residential design typically begins with a site feasibility study to look at options for unit type, size, and density on the proposed development site.
Working from the ground up, we will help you develop a custom architectural design that fits your style, budget, and building site.
AHANS believes Net-Zero design is a critical investment not only for the environment, but the sustainability of a non-profit’s housing portfolio. Low rental revenues combined with increasing operational budgets — specifically energy costs — pose a significant challenge for the affordable housing sector. Eliminating the energy burden mitigates risks and stabilizes budgets for the landlord and the tenants. ~ Claudia Jahn, Director, AHANS Community Housing Development
Custom design of your project guides you through the design phases:
- Site Feasibility: Developing and exploring preliminary approaches to the project massing, unit mix, and density informs the entire design process and is usually the first step for seed funding applications or development agreement applications.
- Schematic Design: We explore a variety of options for your room layouts and how they relate to each other and the outdoors.
- Design Development: We create a 3D model of the exterior shape of the building and design the window layout.
- Energy Modelling: This is important to incorporate early in the process. It informs our design to ensure the seamless integration of all the energy efficiency strategies.
- Net Zero calculations: We size your solar system once we design your high-performance building shell. Passive House approach offers the best path to Net Zero by minimizing the amount of energy that renewables need to provide.
- Construction Drawings: You'll get a detailed set of construction documents for your permit and to start your build.
- Construction Administration: We work with the builder and client to handle any requests for information, change orders, or updates to the design and construction sets in the lead up to and through construction.
- Construction Support and Training: Our team has a long track record delivering high performance builder training to contractors and trades. If required, we can provide construction support and quality assurance including blower door testing during construction and ventilation commissioning services.