side faces south
$4,193* savings on your annual energy costs
(click on large image for a slideshow)
For this project, we wanted to test the market value of a Passive House compared to homes built with standard building methods. We chose to build on a lot in a small, new development with new homes of similar size and finish to our design. Although the cost to build was the same, it sold for more than the larger code-built house next door. We are happy with the result, proving that passive homes higher value is recognized in the market." ~ Natalie Leonard
A seamless blend of elegance and efficiency. With the total cost of the heating bills estimated at $250/year, this building is capable of exceeding the strict Passive House targets.
Four bedroom plus den Dunvegan Passive House features:
- A deep front porch.
- An open-concept kitchen and dining/living room surrounded by primarily south-facing windows.
- Sliding barn doors between a first-floor bedroom and the living room.
- A master suite on the second floor that is outfitted with a generous 5-piece ensuite bath and huge walk-in closet.
- Two additional upstairs bedrooms
- A sunroom at the top of the stairs.
Energy Usage - 38,717 kWhrs/year
Annual Cost - $5,808/year
Built to Passive House (PHIUS)
Energy Usage - 10,763 kWhrs/year
Annual Cost - $1,615/year
Enjoy a $4,193* savings on your annual energy costs or cover $63,150 additional financing on your mortgage with these savings.** *Cost estimate is based on an assumed 15 cent per kWhr price
** Mortgage is based on a 25 year amortization with a 4.5% interest rate.